The Lancashire villages of Hesketh Bank, Becconsall & Tarleton
Go to the Hesketh Bank & Tarleton website homepage
Local directory: local business, local services and local facilities
Events and Attractions in and around Tarleton and Hesketh Bank
Village News
Your letters to the Editor on local issues
Local History of Tarleton, Becconsall, Hesketh Bank and the surrounding area
Local Family History and Genealogy
Photo Library - Old & New photos of Hesketh Bank & Tarleton
Vacancies and Jobs available in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Property for sale and for rent in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Advertising on the Hesketh Bank website options and costs

Service Provider Hubmaker
© 2001-2017 All rights reserved.
Cookies & Privacy Policy

Web Transcript © 2003 Hubmaker. All rights reserved.
Reproduction by any means strictly prohibited.
World War Two home front news
November 5th 1942

My dear Boys and Girls,
As you will see a considerable airmail has come in, this week, in addition to a record number of home letters. As you can understand with over 200 boys and girls away my letter bag grows to an enormous size and I find it most difficult to take extracts from all the letters received, but I always put in those from abroad because it takes so long for them to get an answer. One word more. Do not forget to remember in your prayers those of your comrades who are now in the thick of the fighting in Egypt, and also those who are on the sea. They have a right to claim your prayers, and it is your bounden duty to remember them before the Throne of God. May God bless you all and keep you safe,
ever your affectionate brother in Christ,

Polly Hunter, Mere Brow, married Cpl. Stanley Johnson, Hesketh Bank, on Saturday at Holmes Chapel. Welsh Gdsn. Cpl. Frank Timperley married, by Licence, Margaret Alice Garlick at Hoole Parish Church on Tuesday. Honeymoon spent at Blackpool. Mr. John Nicholson, Kearsley Avenue, died on Tuesday, aged 55 years. He was buried at Tarleton on Friday. Mrs. Frank Foster has come home from Preston Infirmary after her operation. At present in Infirmary John Edgar, Sollom Lock, ready to come home; Miss Hallsall, and Mrs. Holden. Mr. Bentham, Kearsley Avenue, was taken to hospital on Friday. The Guild of Players produced three short plays in the school on Friday evening. Proceeds, which came to £11, for the Aid to Russia Fund. Harry Woodhouse, Moss Lane, has gone to Taunton to take up a job as Verger and Handyman at Taunton (Somerset) Parish Church. Charlie Wright, Tabby Nook, Mere Brow, home for fortnight’s agricultural leave. Abraham Wright home on 11 days privilege leave. Tom Dickinson, Plox Brow, has volunteered for the Navy. Goes for his medical in a fortnight's time. Hodsons have moved from the Smithy House in the Village and have gone to live with their daughter, Mrs. Taylor, at the farm in Blackgate Lane. Dr. Hendron, Croston, has accepted the appointment of Hon. Medical Officer to the Local Squadron of A.T.C., in the place of Dr. Herbert Croft who has joined the Army. Mr. James Whittle goes into hospital at the end of the week for a minor operation. Mrs. Stanley Quinlan, who is suffering from infantile paralysis, is now in Southport Infirmary. She is doing as well as can be expected. Rosie Twist, Fermor Road, has broken off her engagement to Sgt. Michel Gicquel, of the Free French Forces. Robert Latham son of Tom Latham, Blackgate Lane, has joined up. The Tarleton Red Cross Association has sent a cheque for £50 to the West Lancashire Penny a week Red Cross Fund. An appeal is being made to all denominations to raise the money to pay for the drainage of the new extension to the Churchyard.

Gnr. Harry Harrison sends an air mail saying “Thanks a million for your N.L’s. They do not arrive as regularly as when I was in England, nevertheless, sir, I have been very glad to get them and they seem to be far more interesting to read out here. I am enjoying 4 days' leave and its great to be in a place where everything is plentiful, to wake up and have a bath instead of waiting for the water cart to bring you your ‘gallon' with which you have to fill your water bottle, wash, shave, and wash your clothes. I have had many experiences in my life but being out here beats the band. Best wishes to all the lads and my three brothers in law'. Sapper Dick Johnson, M.E.F. says in his airgraph "I have been in hospital for 12 days with a slight dose of diphtheria and I expect that I shall be here a few more weeks. I am quite well and was very surprised when I was admitted to hospital. I should have gone on leave but I shall have to wait a few weeks for that now." Dvr. Dick Bond (Mere Brow) also sends an airgraph from M.E.F. saying ‘Thank you for N.L' s received this week. When I opened them my mates said “What have you got there?' I said “A letter all about the local lads in the Forces', so I let them read it. They said it was O.K. I got my first mail this week so I am not doing so badly. You can tell the lads I am O.K. and I hope this war will soon be over. Tell Rfn. Charlie Wright to get my address from home and write to me." LAC Jimmy Swift writes from Kenya by airgraph, saying "Very pleased to receive my N.L' s. It is a great pleasure to read them. At present I am stationed a thousand miles from civilisation, no white people, shops or pictures. We get very good food and plenty of fresh fruit, a bunch of bananas for a few pence. The natives do most of the work and we have to see that they keep themselves clean." Gnr. Tom Harrison's airgraph says "at last I have found time to write to you. I have just received N.L's written in July. I hope that my brother Bill managed to get home for his 21st birthday. (Yes, Tom he did get home and had an enjoyable party for the occasion). I don't care how soon we move from this jungle. (Tom is now in India). Please remember me to my friend Gerrard Pendlebury who is somewhere out east, (best of Luck Gerrard). Trpr. Alec Barnish, sends an airgraph saying "I received your N.L. yesterday, the one with the letter from Mr. and Mrs. George Formby in it, so that letter is now touring the camp. I received a telegram from my brother Ted the other week wishing me good luck. I was quite pleased to have received news from him after his exciting experiences in Burma. Please remember me to everybody in the Forces. Marine Kenneth Nicholson, to whom we all send our most sincere sympathy on the death of his father, says in his letter written aboard ship somewhere in the eastern oceans, "'We were in harbour for 10 days, the longest since Christmas. The people were really wonderful. The way they treated us!! When I tell you that we could walk into any shop, and buy fruit until we were sick of it, your mouth will water with envy. The people where I stayed during my day off used to go out into the garden and pick fresh lemons and make lemon drinks for us. In the canteens you can buy two poached eggs, on toast, bread & butter, tea, coffee or milk, fresh fruit salad with ice cream, and the price was about 10d. Congratulations to all the boys who have been promoted and best wishes to all the lads who have left England's pleasant homely shores; may they soon return." LAC Malcolm Parkinson who is in the U.S.A., writes "I have just been over 3 weeks in hospital, but feel as right as rain again. As a kind of compensation for my confinement in hospital I managed to get 4 days' leave, and during those 4 days I travelled nearly 1,000 miles going through the States of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. I spent 3 days in New Orleans, the bright city of the south. The 'Vieux Cave’ as the French Quarter is known, is world famous for its food and drink. Amongst the famous dishes are gumbo, crayfish, bisquem courtbouillon, Bouillabaisse, J’ambalaya and pompano en papillote. Quite a mouthfull!!! O/Tel. I.R. Forse, the rector's nephew, writes from his ship, a destroyer to say "Greetings from your wandering nephew. Life aboard is tough with no home comforts, but it suits me alright. This is a fast tub and big for a destroyer, and performs every type of acrobatics in a rough sea." Sgt. Ernie Ball writes from the North to say “As you already know what I think of the land of 'Haggis’ I need say no more about it. I received a N.L. at Woking last Saturday which had been to places and Companys I have never even been to; the envelope had 7 addresses on it, and it was so bad that another sheet of paper had been gummed on the original address as there was no more room left to write on it again. I reckon that by the time I get my next leave I shall be entitled to wear a kilt and carry my pipes, even if I cannot play them." Sapper Eric Edmondson writes, “Since I wrote last to you I have moved and I may yet have to pack all my troubles once again in my kit bag and go to a fresh destination. I have beside me as I write one of your N.L.s. I wonder how many you send out weekly: (about £10, Eric.) You know something about a soldier's life. It may be hard at times but there is plenty of humour and fun. The only thing that has been duty today is the Church Parade, and that is a duty that no one should try to avoid." A/C2 Robert Johnson (Hesketh Lane) says in his letter "I find life in the R.A.F. rather interesting, I am doing my recruits' drill, or "Square Bashing as it is often called in the Air Force. What a change from being in billets to going into huts!! Still we all make the best of it and the rest of the chaps in my hut are a happy lot and enjoy ourselves as best we can." L/Cpl. Tommy Burns says "I haven't done much since I came back from leave, only a bit of D.R. work and not forgetting the painting we are doing on the buses. Nearly every ambulance in our company is being painted, so that certainly passes the time away. Please give my kindest regards to my brothers-in-law George West and Harry Forrest, not forgetting my brothers Dick and George, and my pals Dick Gabbott, Hugh Rowland and Dick Johnson, all of whom I have not seen for a long time.” Raymond Coupe writes "My classes here have started again so I'm now swotting hard for my Degree. The exam is next June. I attend every Saturday afternoon, so I don't get much time these days. Gnr. Harry Woosey writes from hospital. "First of all will you please thank the Bowling Green Club through the N.L. for the donation they gave me. I thought it very kind of them. Have you heard from Bill Sutton or Gerrard Pendlebury lately?


Prepared for web viewing by Mere Brow Local History Society