The Lancashire villages of Hesketh Bank, Becconsall & Tarleton
Go to the Hesketh Bank & Tarleton website homepage
Local directory: local business, local services and local facilities
Events and Attractions in and around Tarleton and Hesketh Bank
Village News
Your letters to the Editor on local issues
Local History of Tarleton, Becconsall, Hesketh Bank and the surrounding area
Local Family History and Genealogy
Photo Library - Old & New photos of Hesketh Bank & Tarleton
Vacancies and Jobs available in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Property for sale and for rent in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Advertising on the Hesketh Bank website options and costs

Service Provider Hubmaker
© 2001-2017 All rights reserved.
Cookies & Privacy Policy

Web Transcript © 2003 Hubmaker. All rights reserved.
Reproduction by any means strictly prohibited.
World War II newsletter
January 25th 1942

My dear Lads,
The tragic death of my most trusted and valued colleague, Mr. Fred Webster, the abnormal number of funerals, the unprecedented rush to get wed and the large amount of sickness has rushed me off my feet during the past few weeks. The fact of the matter is that the parish really needs two men to run it properly. It worries me a good deal, for I am now getting old and cannot do anything like the amount of work I used to do. However, I will try and serve you faithfully and do my best to keep in close touch with you all, for you have not ceased to be part of the parish because you are far away.
You can help me considerably by being regular in your letter writing so that through them, your letters, you can keep in touch with each ether. Then all I have to do is to edit your letters and supply you with the local gossip I pick up as I go about the parish.
With all my love and my Blessing,
Ever your faithful Friend, L.N. FORSE.

Three weddings on Saturday at Parish Church. The Rector took all three. Harry Whitehead, son of Ralph Whitehead, Hesketh Bank, was married to Marian Jones, Blackgate Lane; and David Rimmer of Hesketh Bank was married to Betty Abram. This was a double wedding, and took place at 10 30 in the morning. Very quiet, no bridesmaids, wedding breakfasts took place at homes of individual brides. Harry Whitehead had only arrived home at 10 30 on Friday night. He is a trooper in the Army Remount Dept. In the afternoon Elizabeth Gabbott was married to Abel Bickerstaffe of Croston. This was a 'posh' wedding. Organ played by John Gabbott, cousin of the bride, many guests and reception and meal at Garlicks. The bride in a beautiful white gown with long train; bridesmaids in red. Hazel Dandy, one of the twin daughters of Mr. Nicholas Dandy, Holmes, was married on Saturday to A.C. Harry Forshaw, at Holmes Chapel. Banns called out in Church last Sunday of William Howard of Coe Lane. He is marrying an Aughton girl. Pickles' milk waggon, with two soldiers hitch hiking, skidded and overturned at Sollom on Sunday. One soldier taken to Infirmary, the other escaped with cuts. Milk flowed freely in Sollom and one old lady was seen to rush indoors and fetch her cat out for a ‘binge'. Jennie Fiswick is in Preston Infirmary. Mr. Dickie West has to enter Preston Infirmary next week. Mr. Worth (Blackgate Lane) is in a Liverpool Hospital suffering from eye trouble. Linda Abram, Blackgate Lane, who was in service at Penwortham Vicarage with The Rev. Oliver Burton, is engaged to Alf. Wright of Moss Side: Mr. White, of Hesketh Lane, the father of Mrs. Moss of Kearsley Ave. died on Friday night. He is to be buried at Tarleton. He was a Londoner through and through and came to Tarleton on retirement to be near his daughter. He was 76 years of age. His wife is very ill. The Rector has written to John's (Scots Guards) C.O. asking if he can get away for funeral. Mr. Duckworth, who in last week’s issue was reported to have been appointed Verger, School Caretaker and Sexton has given up the job as he finds the grave digging too much for his years. In his place the rector and Mr. Bailey (Churchwarden) have appointed Mr. Worth, Hesketh Lane, who will commence duties when he comes out of hospital (see above). In the meantime Mr. Harry Dickinson, Mrs. Dickinson and Mrs. Robinson are dividing the work between them, and we are taking no harm. Train jumped the points, owing to snow drift at Hundred End. No one hurt. Two engines sent to get train back on rails got snowbound. No trains ran on Preston Southport Line for two days. Sergt. Ernie Ball had his fiancee over for a few days during his leave last week. Harry Cookson and John Ball could not get back from leave on day appointed owing to there being no trains and no buses, so they had an extra day. In answer to enquiries nothing has been seen or heard of the Sollom Rufford fox for some time. We much regret to have to report that Dr. and Mrs. Croft have been officially informed that their eldest son, Captain Fred Croft, R.A. is reported missing. When last heard of he was in the middle east. Skating on the Canal, otherwise known as “the Cut”, last Sunday afternoon, George Iddon, Gorse Lane, went in up to his waist but took no harm.

AC1 Fred Pollard, R.A.F., writes to say that he has now got his A.C1, which means 9d per day extra. we congratulate him upon his quick promotion. Says one of his mates came back from leave at 9 0 o'clock and was taken with acute appendicitis at 1-30. Has been inoculated but recovered from effects by staying in bed till dinner time. Gunner Harold Aspey is now in a quiet place in Wales and says that all the Welsh people are ever so nice and make the lads very welcome. Says "On the whole we have a smart lot of A.T.S. girls". On passing out "The Colonel said it was the best Battery he had ever had, I expect he tells them all the same." Wishes to thank all the local organisations which have sent him gifts and P.O.s Also wishes to be remembered to all pals on Active Service, especially Dick Burns, John Rowland, Ronnie Iddon, Nick Forshaw, John Ball, Bert Barron. Sgt. Jimmy Leacy, C.M.P., has moved back to some quarters he occupied last year and says it seemed like going home. Wishes all the best for the coming year to those who are abroad, in the near and far east war zones, and says "Good Luck, lads, and God be with you". To those friends of ours who are for the present in the hands of the enemy, "Keep smiling, we will be coming for you soon". To Tommy Burns I’d like to say ‘Thank you'. Seaman Tom Spencer R.N, says 'I went to see George Formby last night and he kindly autographed a photograph of himself crowning my sister at Tarleton. Before I left he told his Manager that if he ever wanted to see a wonderful sight he should come to Tarleton and see the crowning of the village Queen. Beryl (his wife) was there also to see the photograph which George kindly autographed for me." Seaman Tom Spencer is "somewhere overseas". His sister Edith was crowned the Village Queen on the last occasion George and Mrs.Formby came to Tarleton, in 1939. George patriotically volunteered for Active Service, was turned down owing to his health, and has since given his time and abilities amusing the lads in the Forces. As you all know he and his wife are old friends of the Rector. AC2 Tom Parkinson,R.A.F. (Carr Lane) says he was glad to be home for the Sunday School prize giving and missed Mr. Fred Webster's genial presence. Adds that he fully appreciates how indispensable Mr. Webster was to the Rector, the Church and the Sunday School "for his only thought was to do the best for each one of them". Pte. Jack Parker, Liverpool, says that for the past three weeks he has been at a Central Reception Station (he is in the R.A.M.C.) Says that the hot water system in the station froze up although the cold was still going. Says "What do you think of Canterbury packing in? The country will be at a loss really, though, of course, he is getting on." Says that he expects "the Cut" is now frozen over: (It was, Jack, and see 'Home Front News' for the consequences.) L/Cpl. J. Jones, (husband of Anne Ball, Bolton's Meanygate, Tarleton Moss), says he has had three weeks in Wales getting used to driving over rough ground. Says he is still waiting for the fellow, to dash into the Barrack room and say ‘the War's over'. Says there is a cross country run to which nobody looks forward, 'least of all myself'. Wishes to thank all the Tarleton ladies who have sent him presents through his wife. Pte. Arthur Harrison apologises for not calling at the Rectory while on his last leave but thought the rector so full up with funerals that he would have no time to see anyone. Says he came across one of the Waite lads on Crewe station, and finds he is billeted near him. However as he lost him again owing to the train being full he does not know quite where to find him. Wishes to be remembered to Harold Aspey, Jack Robinson, and hopes that Jack's father is now better and able to get back to work, asks us to tell his Aunt Lizzie that he is sorry he did not see her but "next time I won't fail to do so." Pte. Harry Latham says that he is now very busy and gets little time to write letters. Wishes to be remembered to his brother Jimmy who is out east and also to his many cousins. Would like us to say that he thanks the M.U. and the Conservatives for their gifts. Says that he hopes to be home some time in February." As an addition to our Home Front News we would say that Kenneth Robshaw, after a good deal of trouble, got leave to attend his father's funeral. He came straight out of hospital, and after the funeral had to go to bed, at home, and the Doctor gave him a certificate to say that he was not fit to travel. So he is still at home and the date of his return is uncertain.


Prepared for web viewing by Mere Brow Local History Society