The Lancashire villages of Hesketh Bank, Becconsall & Tarleton
Go to the Hesketh Bank & Tarleton website homepage
Local directory: local business, local services and local facilities
Events and Attractions in and around Tarleton and Hesketh Bank
Village News
Your letters to the Editor on local issues
Local History of Tarleton, Becconsall, Hesketh Bank and the surrounding area
Local Family History and Genealogy
Photo Library - Old & New photos of Hesketh Bank & Tarleton
Vacancies and Jobs available in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Property for sale and for rent in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Advertising on the Hesketh Bank website options and costs


Contact editor@heskethbank.com
Service Provider Hubmaker
© 2001-2017 All rights reserved.
Cookies & Privacy Policy

History and Recollections
of TARLETON

Janet Dandy
Published in 1985 By Carnegie Press Copyright © Janet Dandy
Reproduced for reference only

Education

The earliest school was an Endowed school, built in 1706 on the site of the Presbyterian chapel at Blackgate Lane End. The cost was defrayed by Mr Fleetwood of Bank and other inhabitants 'free to 20 poor children, 14 selected by the Parish and 6 by the Rector'; other children paid 12d. on entry. Materials from the old chapel were used in enlarging the school. The stone bearing the date 1650, which had belonged to the chapel, was placed over the doorway. When the school was rebuilt in 1879 two dates were cut into the slab, viz. 1650 and 1879. After the latter date it became a Grammar School, Latin being taught to the scholars.

The master's salary came from the rents of an endowment and was augmented by taking a number of fee paying pupils. Free children who could read the Bible well were taken from the school and others appointed in their places.

There cannot be many branches of the Nat West Bank with such a long history. This is the site of the 1650 Presbyterian chapel, and later the Grammar School. The present building dates from 1879.
Nte West Bank in Tarleton

In 1839 Rev. Streynsham Master, Rector of Croston, with the consent of the Bishop of Chester and under the School Sites Act, granted 400 sq. yds. of Glebe Land (part of a field called Further Ash Trees) in Sollom for the purpose of building a school room to be used under the control of Trustees, for the education of poor children in the principles of Christian religion.

This school became the Girls' and Infants' section of the Endowed School; it was also used for a Sunday School. Adjoining the school was the School House where the Headmistress lived. In 1899 it was sold, as a school had been built next to the church in the village. Sollom School was sold and converted into three houses.

Young children could attend a Dame School for a few pence a week. This was in a cottage, now modernised, opposite the present Post Office. Naughty boys were fastened by a chain to a hook outside the wall.

A new C. of E. School was built next to the church; the foundation stone was laid by Lady Lilford on 29th September 1896. It was opened in 1897 - the total cost of the school being £3,186 12s. 0d..

In 1930 a new Council School was built in Hesketh Lane, and the High School in 1961.

Even in the first decade of the 20th century children were expected to bring 1d. or 2d. each week as part payment for their education.

In 1847 George Anthony Legh Keck and another granted and conveyed to the Rev. Master a piece of land in Tarleton, being part of a plot called 'The Warth' upon trust, for a school (Mere Brow School), for 'the education of children and adults, or children only, of the labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes in the Holmes, in the parish of Tarleton, and for the residence of the School Master and Headmistress'.

Boys of richer parents were often educated at Hutton Grammar School and had to board there because of poor transport.

 

Do you want to submit an article? Mail editor@heskethbank.com