The Lancashire villages of Hesketh Bank, Becconsall & Tarleton
Go to the Hesketh Bank & Tarleton website homepage
Local directory: local business, local services and local facilities
Events and Attractions in and around Tarleton and Hesketh Bank
Village News
Your letters to the Editor on local issues
Local History of Tarleton, Becconsall, Hesketh Bank and the surrounding area
Local Family History and Genealogy
Photo Library - Old & New photos of Hesketh Bank & Tarleton
Vacancies and Jobs available in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Property for sale and for rent in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Advertising on the Hesketh Bank website options and costs


Contact editor@heskethbank.com
Service Provider Hubmaker
© 2001-2017 All rights reserved.
Cookies & Privacy Policy

History and Recollections
of TARLETON

Janet Dandy
Published in 1985 By Carnegie Press Copyright © Janet Dandy
Reproduced for reference only

Nonconformity

There is a tradition that John Wesley preached from a cross at Rufford (mentioned in The Hero of Rufford by A. MacDonald, published 1896)- one Jane Caunce testified to hearing the sermon. Methodism spread to other villages and is first mentioned at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The first services in Tarleton were held in the homes of the people; in 1851 the first chapel was built. That was reconstructed in 1857. The building had a gallery at the west end and was heated by a stove in the middle of the ground floor. Behind the chapel stood a row of cottages which were overshadowed by its presence. In 1896 a new chapel was built and the old one fell into ruins. After a few years the building was demolished; the old bricks were used to build two more cottages, attached to the end of row afore mentioned.

Methodist Cottages, Tarleton
The row of Methodist cottages with, in the background the school and chapel. The cottages are set back from the road because the old chapel used to be between them and the road. When this old chapel was demolished around the turn of the century the bricks were used to build the two cottages on the right of the terrace.

The new chapel was estimated to cost £1,100; when the memorial stones were laid a service was held and the sum of £530 5s. was raised. The chapel was opened and consecrated in 1896.

 

Do you want to submit an article? Mail editor@heskethbank.com