The Lancashire villages of Hesketh Bank, Becconsall & Tarleton
Go to the Hesketh Bank & Tarleton website homepage
Local directory: local business, local services and local facilities
Events and Attractions in and around Tarleton and Hesketh Bank
Village News
Your letters to the Editor on local issues
Local History of Tarleton, Becconsall, Hesketh Bank and the surrounding area
Local Family History and Genealogy
Photo Library - Old & New photos of Hesketh Bank & Tarleton
Vacancies and Jobs available in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Property for sale and for rent in Hesketh Bank and Tarleton
Advertising on the Hesketh Bank website options and costs


Contact editor@heskethbank.com
Service Provider Hubmaker
© 2001-2017 All rights reserved.
Cookies & Privacy Policy

History and Recollections
of TARLETON

Janet Dandy
Published in 1985 By Carnegie Press Copyright © Janet Dandy
Reproduced for reference only

The New Church


Tarleton new church, the foundation stone of which was laid on October 23, 1886. The spire was added some years later.

The Rev. R.C. Fletcher, who succeeded his father in 1875, advocated the provision of a better church. In 1883 a committee was formed and the collection of subscriptions was taken in hand. From Lord Lilford £300, Mr Rawcliffe £200 (both of whom sent further subscriptions later), Rector £250 and Mrs Fletcher £40, Miss Kennedy £300 and the organ, Mrs Rawcliffe £50 and the Rederos and Miss Fletcher £100, and the parishioners responded according to their means.


A faint old postcard of 1905. Note the spireless church in the background. The building on the left, with the hoardings, was a smithy when I was young..

On October 23rd 1886 the foundation stone was laid by Henry John Powis. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Manchester on 7th June 1888.

The collection on the foundation day was £380 3s. 7d. and on the Consecration Day £183 7s. 9d.. The entire debt was cleared on 30th June 1897; the total cost of the church was £6,138 15s. 1d.. It was decided to build a tower and spire as a memorial to the late Mrs Fletcher and in 1905 a fund was started for that purpose. Mrs Fletcher promised the church clock. Eight years later the work was put in hand, and now a handsome spire adorns the church.

 

Do you want to submit an article? Mail editor@heskethbank.com